Preparing for Getting Help
You have done a wonderful and brave thing by taking steps to change your life.
We are experts on helping you prepare to take the next steps. With so much going on in your life, it is easy to not think of all the things that you need to take care of, so we can take care of you.
Our team will help you plan for entering our residential program by looking into things like:
- What happens to your current living space?
- Who takes care of loved ones or pets?
- Ensuring your obligations are met.
- What you need to bring with you.
- What you need to be mentally prepared for.
- We will walk you through all the things you might or might not have thought of, to ensure you have time and energy to focus on getting the help you need.
- Your treatment program will require your full attention. Please ensure that all external community appointments or commitments are met prior to admission.
This is our structured, therapeutic, live-in program that addresses the core issues that cause substance use and addiction and identifies ways to overcome them. The program is a well-rounded, immersive experience that will:
- Be based upon your individual needs and circumstances.
- Help to motivate you to make positive lifestyle changes in order to reduce harm and work towards a primary goal of abstinence.
- Identify and overcome emotional and psychological challenges that have led to your situation.
- Provide a structured, proven, caring and supportive environment that will reinforce a healthier life while maintaining a holistic balance.
Addiction Supportive Housing (ASH) Program
This program is designed to create healthier lives for those of us living with substance issues through stable housing and supports. You live in stable housing, with professional support. We help you avoid readmission to addiction programs. The services are uniquely individualized to each participant. The program is based on a housing-first and harm reduction models.
- Provide treatment planning based on individual goals.
- Help develop daily life skills, including planning and budgeting.
- Provide participants with referrals to the appropriate agencies and treatment options.
Brief Intervention Case Management (BICM)/ RAAM Clinic
The Brief Intervention Case Management Program provides short-term assistance to meet immediate needs. The Case Manager facilitates referrals to longer-term services as required while providing outreach services during the engagement phase as per Intensive Case Management Standards.
Rapid Access Addiction Medicine (RAAM) Clinic provides an addictions treatment pathway between the clinic and different places where the client is likely to seek care such as emergency departments, primary care providers, mental health and addiction agencies, and withdrawal management programs.
Overcoming addiction is not a one-time thing. Our trained, professional experts know this, and we have built a long-term strategy to help you keep the healthy lifestyle you have worked to earn. The Aftercare Program is designed around research that shows:
- Continuing care is essential to successful recovery.
- Recovery is a lifelong process.
- It’s a “tool in your toolbox” to cope with leading a rewarding life.
“This place saved my life. I thought I could do it myself. Even though I relapsed, they save my life. I know I would be dead if I hadn’t been through here.”
“One day I started to feel better. This saved my life…I’m doing things I’ve never done, never been able to do. I thought I was alone, but there’s help out there. Now it’s easier to ask for help, and that’s because of this house.”
“Addiction takes all of your hope and faith out of you. This place puts it back in you.”
“Unfortunately, the public thinks it’s all a matter of willpower. They still don’t understand, they probably never will.”
“They’ve given so much to me. I was broken, full of shame and guilt. This place changed that.”
“This place gave me a sense of belonging. I felt cared for. I felt appreciated, I felt loved.”
“I’m eternally grateful for the support of all staff. I can never thank them enough. What they’ve given is so precious to me.”
Getting the help you need
Now that you are ready to make such an important change, it is time to tell you how to begin the process to work with us. Our admission criteria is listed below.
Please take a moment to review them and fill out our intake form.
To access our services, you must meet the criteria listed below.
- You are 16 years of age or older.
- You have an addiction to alcohol and/or other psychoactive drugs.
- You have been abstinent from alcohol and/or all psychoactive drugs for at least 72 hours prior to arrival.
- Willing to attend self-help meetings such as A.A. and/or N.A.
- Must participate in a scheduled personal screening interview prior to acceptance into the Nipissing Mental Health and Housing Support Services Addiction Services, either in person or by telephone.